I have been asked the question below and I have reviewed best baby toys and games for a baby of 8 months.
If you also have nice tips for an 8 month old baby for learning to play, I like to hear that. I think that toys are sometimes expensive. Making something yourself or cheap is of course ideal. Sometimes I get the best out of ideas.
This made me very happy, this is exactly why I started blogging. Great that you all read the trouble to read my blog. And even ask me for tips. So here are some suggestions for games and toys for a baby of 8 to 12 months. This way you can stimulate your child and continue to challenge them to discover the world around them.
Learn while playing
When it comes to playing learning, I very much agree with this quote; “By playing children learn about themselves and others, about how things work and about the world around them. And every playing experience is a good preparation for school. “- Carol Nagode.
For babies, all the game is still learning, whether it is motor, itself or socially emotional; every game is a learning experience. This takes place on the basis of a trial and error basis; in other words, by doing, making mistakes and learning again. This process alone is a learning experience in itself! It is important to give your baby the chance to make ‘mistakes’.
With cubes you can do more than just stack, let your baby discover for yourself and try to respond to it. Without being ‘corrected’ right away.
Development 8 months
The development of each child is different. So you can not draw a level here. At this age the last months of baby break. Just before you know it you have to run behind your toddler, really!
- From a motor point of view, your baby can probably sit on his own, and roll, maybe even crawl or stand with help. You can stimulate this with toys that move. A hard surface such as a rug on the floor can also help.
- Your baby begins to recognize and point out things. Respond to this by naming it.
- Maybe your baby can already play a bit independently, or start with that. However, limit the amount of toys that you offer, because then your baby will lose the overview. Guided play where you follow the baby in his game is also important.
- At this age your baby starts to make connections (so-called leap of relationships). Games or material that provoke a reaction will therefore be popular.
- The first words can already be a fact and it will begin to understand ‘no’. However, try to vary with no, before you know it your child will use this against you.
- Depression anxiety can also play a role at the moment, here too you can play a game to learn that something or someone can come back again.
- The senses are also practiced, and the mouth is one of the senses on which your child learns a lot. So a lot of toys can end up in the mouth. Make sure that there are no sharp points, or small pieces.
So much for the pedagogue in me. Now I convert the cap from mommy and ‘experience expert’. Below are a few tips, I have mainly tried not to use the most obvious games or toys, such as a walking cart to stimulate walking, because that is probably already known.
Games baby 8 months
- Peek a boo; Peekaboo can be played in different ways. Of course the classic hands in front of your face and then calling peek-a-boo, but also with materials under a cloth, a (transparent) cloth that they can put on their heads and pull off or a pinch hug behind a cloth that you can conjure up.
- Make music; Everything that produces sound is appreciated. A plastic cup with spoon with which you slosh. With a stick on an empty bucket. An old school bell that you have lying somewhere.
- Cycling / walking and naming everything; Just go outside, out into the wide world. Both on the way there is plenty to see (and of course appoint), so you do not necessarily have to have a destination. Be surprised by the environment, for example mushrooms you see somewhere, ducklings in the pond etc.
- Imitate; Babies absolutely love mirrors. Especially when you are there and start pulling crazy faces. After a few times your baby will try to imitate this. The same also applies to sounds and movements. Of course you can also turn the roles around! Another baby can of course also be imitated. Immediately very cozy for you!
- Light and sound; Many toys nowadays all have lights and music. Here you can also use home, garden and kitchen items. For example, consider the light button in the toilet, the elevator button at Grandma, your flashlight, a remote control that is no longer used or just the doorbell.
Toy baby 8 months
- Ball ; A big or small ball, (of course not so small that they can be put in the mouth), lots of balls or just a few that does not matter. Babies are very fascinated by this. With a ball you can play more games than rolling back and forth. For example, consider the peek-a-boo game. With a large ball let your baby sit on it and then roll gently. The size of balls baths in bath etc. Balls can stimulate crawling and gross motor skills, but also the action / reaction feeling. You also have a kind of baby roll where your child can roll up.
- Discovery bottles ; You can easily make this toy yourself, just collect a few empty bottles and fill them with different materials. Think of rice with satépicks, oil and water, water and figurines made of foam, glitter, mini balls and bubbles. You can not think of it so crazy. In addition to being fascinated by staring, they can also roll with it. As they get older, they only find it more fun.
- Duplo primo ; I have written about this before. Unfortunately it is no longer sold in the store so you will have to look for a thrift store or market place. Especially things that move like the caterpillar and cars, blocks that can rattle and the ball are interesting for young babies. As they grow older they can also start stacking. And they really like the dolls.
- Booklets ; This was the favorite toy of baby girl, it did not matter what kind of booklet (especially knisper and bath books) but they were not to be dragged. Cozy with a rug on the floor (in the winter there would be an extra rug underneath, because there is a lot of cold coming into the house through the floor) and lying there with your child. You do not have to read right away, just letting it look is sufficient. You do not have to stock, as a baby you get a free annual subscription and the bookstart case.
- Activity board; This is for example from Woezel and Pip or Miffy, but a handy dad or mama can also make this yourself. As a basis you need a wooden plate (of course splinter-free), on this you can stick different materials, eg smooth leather, a piece of rubber, a kind of rough sandpaper, silver foil etc. Or various ‘games’ like a thread with beads, buttons, a fabric flower, etc. You can also make an activity-rug of course.
- A molded oven ; maybe a little too early now. But your child can already get acquainted with this.
- Material ; empty trays, boxes, toilet rolls, does not matter. For your baby, fantasy is still the limit. For example, create his own treasure chest by filling a box with all kinds of materials that your baby can use to amuse himself. Think of a handkerchief, ladle, toothbrush etc.
Hope you can find best toys for your baby.